Remove Cat and Dog Urine Smell using Natural ProductsRoger Hu
Having a pet is the best way to make your home a happy place. Especially for older people who are dealing with loneliness or boredom, pets can help them cope with that feeling and keep them happy. Getting a pet is one of the most exciting experience for most people. With time, pets become members of your house. Not only the older people, but the younger kids also get attached to their pets. Dogs and cats are the most common types of pets, and pet-owners tend to get connected with them because they are smart animals. Both the dogs and cats become potty-trained in a few weeks, which makes owners’ life easy. But it is widespread for cats and dogs to have little “accidents” from time to time. Sometimes, pets find a space in your home and use it as a toilet. It is the most challenging thing to deal with because getting rid of that habit is not as hard as getting rid of the urine smell. When your animal urinates in the living space of the home, it becomes a headache. The best way to deal with this issue is to remove the pee smell as soon as you can. If you fail to eradicate the odour, then your pet will keep doing it again and again. So, how should you remove cat or dog urine smell?
Why is it necessary to eliminate the odour?
The pet urine smell, especially cat and dog pee smell, is pungent because it contains pheromones to communicate with other animals. It is easy to remove the urine smell from the floor and hard surfaces, but it is comparatively harder to remove odour from the carpet, sofa or any fabric. The scent lingers on for some time even if you wash it. Failure to eliminate the smell will draw your pets to that area again because of the smell. If you smell a foul odour, try to locate the spot at once. If you are unable to find the place, then you can also use UV or black light.
Best way to clean pet odour
The best way to clean the pet odour is by using the natural ingredients that are readily available at your home. You can use vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, lemon, oxygen, and salt to clean the pet urine. Synthetic cleaners can damage the carpet or other fabric, as well as the surrounding environment. These cleaners can add chemicals to the home environment that can be harmful to both the pets and kids. Also, the chemical products are dangerous for people with sensitive skin, allergies and other health issues.
The benefits of using natural cleaning ingredients
Dogs and cats have a heightened sense of smell, and they can detect the chemicals even weeks after the disinfection. Therefore, it is essential to replace chemical ingredients with natural and eco-friendly ingredients for your pet’s safety. Following are the benefits of cleaning with natural ingredients.
- Natural ingredients are eco-friendly
- They provide better results for less money
- Protects your carpets and couches from discolouration and damage
- Safe for your pet’s health
- Disinfects and cleans the urine at the same time
- Safe around people with weak immune systems and allergies
Remove cat or dog urine smell from carpets and couches
Carpets and couches cannot be washed in the washing machine, so there are other methods to remove dog pee odour from them.
- First, gently soak up the excess moisture with the help of a towel or cloth.
- Second, after thoroughly soaking the area, spray the natural cleaner on that spot.
- Let the natural cleaner sit there for a few minutes.
- Wipe with a clean wet cloth.
- Manually vacuum area or let it dry naturally.
DIY methods to remove pee odour
There are several DIY methods and products that you can use to remove the foul stench of your pets. The most common products are vinegar, baking soda, homemade spray with essential oils and dishwashing soap. Here are some DIY tips:
- Vinegar: Vinegar is the most popular product to remove the pee odour and strong smells. Directly spray the vinegar on the urine spot and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Clean it later by rubbing with a wet cloth.
- Baking Soda, Peroxide and dishwashing detergent: Prepare a solution of these three ingredients. Mix 250 ml of hydrogen peroxide with 3 tbsp of baking soda and a small amount of dish detergent. Spray the mixture on the urine-stained area and leave it for 15 minutes. After that, rub or brush the area.
- Homemade Spray with Essential Oil: It is another natural homemade solution to remove any urine smell from floor and carpets. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda, one teaspoon of vinegar, half teaspoon of essential oil and 150 ml of hydrogen peroxide. Spray it directly on the affected spot and let it dry. After drying, clean the powder remnants with the vacuum cleaner. Repeat the method if the smell persists.
Most effective cleaning method
The homemade or DIY methods are the most commonly used methods for removing animal pee odour. But pet owners are aware that this is a messy business. It is not easy to prepare these solutions. And even if you do, there is still a chance of damaging your carpet or couch fabric. So, your safest choice is to use natural cleaning products that are available in the market. Always make sure that the product you use to remove the dog pee or cat pee should be safe to use around children and pets. Make sure there are no harmful chemical additives in the deodorants or products. It must also contain the enzymes that eliminate the odour, so your pet is not attracted to the same place again.
Your safest bet is the all-natural odour removing products that are made from the natural ingredients. Good Scruff is an Australian brand who believes in the natural cleaning of pet odour. It is a Melbourne based company which manufactures environment-friendly products and provide green cleaning solutions for your home. Each of their products is independently tested to make sure they are perfectly safe. All ingredients are non-toxic, organic and provided by the best Australian suppliers. Remove your cat or dog urine smell today!