Keto Diet and its BenefitsRoger Hu
Ketogenic or Keto diet is the term which is used for the diet plan, which has low carbs and high in proteins and fats. In keto diet, it is essential to cut on processed foods and sugar. At the same time, you need to drastically reduce the carbohydrates that are easily digestible such as white bread, sugar, pastries and soda. This reduction in carbs helps the body into ketosis mode, which is a fat-burning metabolic state of the body. In recent years, the Keto diet has gained popularity among people who wants to lose weight in a short time. Find specifics about Keto Diet and its Benefits below.
When you restrict the sugar intake, the body forces to use the fat deposits in the body as the fuel. The body turns the fat into ketones which are consumed by the brain and body for instant energy. During the ketosis state, our body becomes efficient in burning the excessive fat of the body rapidly. It also massively reduces the insulin and sugar levels of blood. The whole process is beneficial for the body.
Types of the ketogenic diet
There are several types of the keto diet, but four of those are most common.
- The standard keto diet (SKD): The standard version of keto diet typically contains 75% of fat, 15-20% of protein and 5-10% of carbs. On the standard keto diet, almost all the meals and snacks include foods such as butter, ghee, fatty oils, avocados, olive oil, etc., which are all high-fat foods. Besides, carb intake is drastically reduced from 300 grams to 50 grams per day while the protein intake is moderate (about 90 grams).
- A cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): Cyclical keto diet is the cycling of the keto diet as it is evident from the name. In cyclical keto diet, there are typically five keto days and two non-keto days per week. Non-keto days also contains a balanced diet rather than going all crazy about food. The non-keto days include whole grains, fruits, dairy products, vegetables etc. rather than processed and sugar-high foods.
- The targeted keto diet (TKD): Targeted keto diet is famous among the athletes and physically active individuals who require more carbs as compared to other people on Keto. The targeted keto diet allows carbohydrates before and after the workout or intense physical activity to provide instant energy to the body. The best carbs for this diet plan are fruit, dairy, whole grains, energy drinks and other nutrition products.
- High-Protein Keto Diet (HPKD): High-protein keto diet is very similar to the standard keto diet, but it has high protein than the standard diet. The ratio of macronutrients is typically 60-65% fat, 30% protein and 5-10% carbs. This is the modified version of the keto diet, and most people find it easy to follow as it has high protein content.
Health benefits of the keto diet
There are several benefits of adopting the keto diet. It not only helps you to lose weight rapidly but also has other advantages as well.
- Instant weight loss: Reducing the carb intake is the best and most effective method of losing weight. In keto diet, the basic idea is to restrict the carb intake as low as 5% to get instant results. Following the keto diet plan, you will start seeing great results within the first two weeks. Low-carb foods reduce the water stored by the body, which leads to rapid weight loss.
- Reduces appetite: The keto diet not only reduces weight but also suppresses the appetite. Low-carb foods automatically reduce hunger, which is the main side effect of dieting. Ketones influence ghrelin, which is the hormone that controls appetite and increases the amount of cholecystokinin, which sends the signal to the brain that you are full.
- Reduces blood sugar level: Keto diet is beneficial for people who have diabetes and insulin resistance. According to a study conducted on people with type-2 diabetes, 95% of the participants reduced the dosage or even eliminated the use of insulin within the six months of the keto diet. Some diabetic people who start the keto diet plan need to reduce the insulin dosage by 50% immediately.
- Fuels and strengthens brain: The ketones are an immediate source of fuel for the brain. They can fulfil up to 70% of the brain’s energy requirement, which makes them more useful source than glucose. The brain is the fattiest organ of the body, which is made mostly from fat and needs good fats for proper functioning. The ketones provide good fats to the brain to strengthen its operation.
- Protects the heart: During the keto diet plan, we consume around 50 grams of carbs each day. The reduction in the carbs increases the levels of high-density lipoprotein (HDL), commonly known as the good cholesterol. It protects the heart from inflammation and heart diseases. Keto diet also lowers the fat molecules of triglycerides present in the blood, which are responsible for the coronary heart disease.
- Other health benefits: In addition to all benefits mentioned above, the keto diet has several other less-known benefits as well. According to research, the keto diet can massively reduce epilepsy seizures among children. Similarly, a keto diet is used to treat several types of cancer because it helps in slowing down the growth of cancer tumour. Another study conducted on animals found that keto diet can help in the brain recovery after an injury. Additionally, the keto diet can also reduce acne due to the reduced insulin and blood sugar levels. But this claim needs more research.
Although the keto diet is perfectly safe for healthy people, there could be some initial complications and side effects as well. You can experience fatigue, reduced mental functions, increased hunger, nausea, sleeping disorders, digestive problems and other issues. These symptoms are known as keto flu, which is standard in the early days of the keto diet. To minimise this, you can use the regular low carb foods and meals for a few days before switching to a strict keto diet. In Australia, Slendier is an authentic brand which specializes in low-carb products and organic foods. They have complete product range for vegans, clean-eaters and devotees. The best way to begin a Keto diet – try Slendier today! You can find their products on our website.